AN elderly couple who feared being separated after 70 years will not be sent to different care homes, it has been confirmed.

Frank Springett, 91, and his 86-year-old wife Mary were on the brink of being torn apart after becoming pawns in the council’s row about funding.

The devoted couple, who have been married for 67 years, both have serious health problems and have not been apart in seven decades.

Mary has been diagnosed with severe Alzheimer’s and Frank has arthritis, is deaf and has the muscle condition polymyalgia rheumatica.

The couple had been forced to sell their home in Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire, to fund their ongoing £8,000-a-month care bills.

However, the £156,000 they received for their home is now almost depleted, and social services looked set to move the pair into different care homes.

However, according to the Sunday People, this plan has been scrapped, with the council doing a massive U-turn following public outcry.

Solihull Council has informed the family that they will foot the bill when the couple’s funds run out in order to keep them together.

Speaking to the paper, the couple’s daughter Joanne Downes said: “The relief I felt when social services agreed with us was amazing, the situation had been so worrying.

“I could not sleep worrying about them, I would never have given up on them.”

The pair are now said to be living happily together at the Cedar Lodge Care Home in Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire.

The couple’s granddaughter Jenna Farmer, who brought their plight to public attention via Twitter, took to the social media platform once again, saying: “We did it!”

Frank and Mary have been together since meeting at an ice rink in 1949.

They tied the knot a few years later and even renewed their vows in May this year, on the day of the Royal Wedding.