FARMERS are the backbone of Australia, insists Outback Wrangler Matt Wright.

“With this drought, these guys are doing it tough and they do enjoy a beer and they work bloody hard from sun-up to sundown,” he said.

In a bid to support drought-stricken farmers doing it tough, 1000 Aussie pubs and clubs have signed up to Great Northern’s “Let it Pour” fundraising initiative.

The brewery is donating 1000 kegs to venues across Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and the NT, with all proceeds raised from the donated kegs going to farmers’ drought relief.

In the NT, 14 venues – including The Beachfront Hotel and The Cavenagh – are taking part in the initiative, which wraps up tonight.

“It’s the best fundraiser I’ve seen, it’s a great idea,” Wright said.

“Any excuse to have a beer, but it’s a bloody good excuse.”

Great Northern general manager Mick McKeown said the brewer had tipped in $250,000 cash and wanted to raise about $1 million in total.

“We had pubs in the NT call to ask if they could sign up to help,” Mr McKeown said.

“It’s the Australian way to help a mate when things are tough and 1000 pubs and clubs across Australia are committing to help our farming mates through a very trying time.”

Darwin hotelier Guy Dunne said the Beachfront Hotel was proud to help out.

“We’re getting an enormous reaction from locals keen to support the event,” said Mr Dunne.

“I haven’t come across one patron not moved by the plight of our farmers right now. I don’t think we’ll have any hassle convincing our customers to get right behind Let it Pour this weekend.”