#FreeSamuelOgundipe is trending in Nigeria – with tweeters calling for the release of a journalist arrested for refusing to reveal the source of a story.

Samuel Ogundipe works for the Premium Times, which said the offending story related to the siege of the country’s parliament last week by hooded members of the country’s spy agency.

In an article the paper says he referred to a briefing sent to Acting President Yemi Osinbajo by the police chief on the siege.

Premium Times editor-in-chief Musikilu Mojeed and another reporter were also detained in the capital, Abuja, but released within a few hours.

They were reportedly picked up by members of the controversial anti-robbery squad Sars, which Mr Osinbajo says is going to be reformed because of allegations of human rights abuses committed by its officers.

Mr Mojeed asked a commander at the police force's headquarters if he was aware that asking a journalist to reveal his source could become an embarrassment for Nigeria, the paper says.

It quotes Deputy Commissioner of Police Sani Ahmadu as saying:

I don’t care if I embarrass Nigeria or not. I have the right to keep him here and I will keep him until he reveals his source."