NICOLA Sturgeon has said the allegations of sexual assault against her predecessor Alex Salmond are "hard to ignore".

Two complaints have been made against the 63-year-old former First Minister, it was revealed last night and he strongly denies the allegations.

Speaking for the first time about the claims today, the Scots boss admitted that her close ally and mentor had told her about the claims and that the situation was "difficult for me to come to terms with".

She said she was "acutely aware how upsetting this will be" for the SNP but insisted the complaints must not be "swept under the carpet".

Ms Sturgeon, who took over from Mr Salmond in 2014, said today: "These complaints have been considered since then under a procedure covering ministers and former ministers that was agreed by me in December 2017 in the wake of public concern about harassment.

"Although I have been aware for some time of the fact of the investigation - initially from Alex Salmond - I have had no role in the process, and to have referred to it before now would have compromised the integrity of the internal investigation, which I was not prepared to do."

She added: "Alex Salmond is now challenging the Scottish Government’s procedure in court. The Scottish Government refutes his criticisms of its process and will defend its position vigorously.

"However, this focus on process cannot deflect from the fact that complaints were made that could not be ignored or swept under the carpet.

"I have been clear on many occasions that all organisations and workplaces must make it possible for people to come forward to report concerns and have confidence that they will be treated seriously.

"For that principle to mean anything it cannot be applied selectively. It must be applied without fear or favour, regardless of the identity, seniority or political allegiance of the person involved.”

"I am also acutely aware how upsetting this will be for my party. However, the over-riding priority must be to ensure fair and due process."

Mr Salmond was leader of the SNP twice - and led Scotland as First Minister from 2007 to 2014.

He quit after losing the independence referendum, when Scotland opted to stay inside the UK.

The Scottish Sun understands explosive allegations about the ex First Minister’s conduct towards women during his time in office have been passed to Police Scotland.

Police Scotland said it was "not going to comment on whether an inquiry is ongoing".

Last night Mr Salmond said in a statement that he was planning to take the Scottish Government to court over the case - criticising the way they had handled it.

He refuted all of the claims against him, describing some of them as "patently ridiculous".

Mr Salmond, who previously served as the MP for Gordon before being booted out in 2017, said: "Even now I have not been allowed to see and therefore to properly challenge the case against me.

"I have not been allowed to see the evidence. I have tried everything, including offers of conciliation, mediation and legal arbitration to resolve these matters both properly and amicably.

"This would have been in everybody's interests, particularly those of the two complainants. All of these efforts have been rejected."