TESCO has warned customers about a new text message scam that uses the number plate of your car to con you out of cash.

Shoppers revealed the scam on Facebook after sharing screenshots of messages they assumed were from fraudsters.

One of the posts sent to Tesco read: "I'm guessing this is a scam text?!"

The text message gives three names and their car number plates along with a message of congratulating them, before asking the customer to confirm by pressing a link in the text.

It's not yet clear what the links lead to but it's believed to be a phishing attempt, with those clicking on such links usually asked to put in personal information.

The data is then used by scammers to steal your money.

Responding to the posts, Tesco confirmed that the text is a scam and said that it'd never send customers a message asking them for personal information.

The Tesco spokesperson said: "Thanks for letting us know about this. I can confirm this is a scam and our phishing team are aware and currently investigating.

"Our customers' security is extremely important to us and I'd like to assure you that we would never send any of our customers a message which asks them to input any personal or security details.

"Please send this in an email to phishing@uk.tesco.com and delete the message without clicking on any links and we thank you for your patience while we look into this."

Text message scams are unfortunately nothing new. In fact, 200,000 Brits are victims of scam text messages they don't realise they're paying for.

Meanwhile, here's the text scam you should never reply to, according to Action Fraud.

Yesterday, The Sun also revealed how one man lost £66k life savings and his home after falling for Bitcoin investment scam.

Last week, Morrisons also urged customers not to fall for a text message scam that could give fraudsters permission to empty your bank account.

And in the end of last year, Netflix users were once again warned not to fall for fake emails asking customers to update their payment details.