Musician Neil Finn is quitting social media following Friday’s mosque shootings in Christchurch.

The New Zealand singer-songwriter took to Twitter Sunday night to inform his 49,000 followers.

“Out of respect for the grieving families of Christchurch and in consideration of their vast public tragedy I will no longer take part in social media,” he said.

“These platforms have enabled the spread of hateful ideology and I will not participate anymore.”

The acclaimed musician is regularly active on social media and his decision prompted many to comment about whether it was the right or wrong move.

Many were disappointed the artist, known for his work with Split Enz, Crowded House and a host of other acts, would no longer engage online.

“A decision of great integrity,” @DebonaireNerd replied.

“While I respect your decision, I think something is lost by removing yourself from Social Media when you, in particular, contribute in a way that is meaningful and positive.

“By abandoning it, you leave the medium with the aforementioned negativity.”

Finn later added it was “simply a personal response and not a call for a boycott or any such thing”.

“Everyone makes their own version of the world happen on their screen,” he said in a follow-up tweet.

“For now, I just want to play music.

“Thanks to all of you who have been following and supporting my random thoughts.”

More than 50 people were killed and another 50 injured during Australian Brenton Tarrant’s alleged shooting rampage against worshippers in two Christchurch mosques on Friday.

Social media giants, including Facebook, where Tarrant live-streamed the alleged attack, have since come under mounting pressure over its handling of offensive content showing the massacre.

Finn, who is currently on tour in the US with Fleetwood Mac, tweeted his best wishes to those affected by the tragedy on Friday.

“Waking up to awful news from home, the full extent of the horror that unfolded in Christchurch,” he said.

“So sad for the victims and families, the whole community, all the good people of Christchurch.

“Our love and thoughts are with you.”