HORRIFIED neighbours have described trying to save the life of a man found 'murdered' at the wheel of a car on their street.

Two teenage women, aged 18 and 19, have been arrested on suspicion of murder following the grim discovery in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The man - who has not yet been named - is said to have been found covered in blood inside a Volkswagen Polo.

Parts of the street remained stained with blood today as residents on Oakdale Avenue spoke of their shock over the incident.

One elderly resident told how his wife gave CPR to the victim.

He said: "My wife has been terribly affected by yesterday- she is too hurt to speak but she helped give the man CPR but unfortunately he didn't make it.

"We are all so shaken by what has happened on our road yesterday- In 36 years of us living here, nothing like this has ever gone on.

A lady in her 40s who lives only across the street from where the fatal incident took place, told how she witnessed the tragic man, thought to be 'in his early 20s' lying on the street surrounded by blood.

She added: "I opened my door yesterday morning just after seven to paramedics giving the man CPR. There was blood surrounding his body and he lay lifeless.

"It was like something out of a horror movie. The music was blaring out of the car the car and the passenger door was left open because whoever did this wanted to get away really quickly.

"You could tell that they parked that car in a hell of a rush because the whole thing was basically on the pavement."

Another resident who lives within yards of the cordon said the had not seen the car parked on the road before.

He said: "The talk is that it was a young polish lad. I haven't seen that car parked there before so my guess is that he wasn't from round here."

A post-mortem examination is due to take place today at Peterborough City Hospital to determine a cause of death for the man — who has not yet been named.

The two women are currently being held in custody at Thorpe Wood Police Station in Peterborough.

Detective Chief Inspector Adam Gallop, from the Beds, Cambs and Herts major crime unit, said: "We are looking to speak to anyone who has any information about this death and particularly anyone who saw or heard any disturbance."

Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.