A MUM who accidentally fed her nine-year-old daughter catnip after buying an advent calendar for cats has hit back at online trolls.

Jess Evans, 26, thought Alissa was just being fussy when she stopped eating her "weird-tasting" £1.99 advent calendar chocolates.

The mum, from Oswestry, Shropshire, shared the gaff on Facebook with the intention to make people laugh, but not everyone found it funny.

She told the Shropshire Star: "We haven't made any money from this story, its intention was a light hearted article to make people laugh in the lead up to Christmas, not to open myself up to abuse (but welcome to the age of the internet).

"The calender does state 'for cats' on the front but be honest who reads a calendar that was put on the same shelf as the chocolate ones presumably by a customer.

"I didn't pick it up down the cat section and think to myself 'this will do'."

Many found the honest mistake funny, but a few didn't see it the same way.

One said: "Hahaha haha this had me crying on that group you absolute thicko xx."

Another added: "Just watch her carefully she might have the urge to scratch the furntiure."

Jess said in her Facebook post took 11 days before she realised Alissa's advent calendar was made of catnip and yoghurt.

After clawing her way through four days’ of the green-tinged treats from a Garfield calendar, disgusted Alissa told Jess she didn’t like them and refused to eat any more.

The mum-of-three was horrified when she turned the box over to find the "apple-flavoured chocolates" were yoghurt and catnip delicacies — for cats.

She said at the time: "I was in shock and felt like the worst mother ever when I realised I’d bought her a calendar for cats.

"She said they tasted a bit strange, but hadn’t said they were horrible, so I just forgot about it.

"Alissa hadn’t been eating them for a few days and when I asked why she brought the box over to me.

"I remember thinking they did look a funny shade of green and didn’t have a chocolatey smell.

"When I turned the calendar over and read that it was yoghurt and catnip flavour I couldn’t believe it - and that it had taken 11 days for us to notice."

Jess had picked the advent calender up while out shopping with Alissa and her younger sisters Alexis Davies-Evans, three, and 11-month-old Aurora Davies-Evans in B&M.

Jess said: "I was rushing around at the last minute with all three of them Christmas shopping and went into B&M where all the advent calendars were and picked it up without reading it.

"On the 11th of December I was opening the younger girls’ calendars but Alissa said she didn’t want hers and had stopped eating them.

“When I looked at the box I couldn’t believe it. I have a degree in English literature and creative writing but still couldn’t read a calendar and it had taken me 11 days to realise."

“Once she got over the shock she found the funny side of it. Thankfully she’s absolutely fine and I’ve checked online that she will be ok.

“I’m going to give the calendar to my friend for her cat.”