A PREGNANT woman has revealed she is living in a tent on the streets and claims she is unable to find a home.

Hellen, 40, is eight weeks pregnant but has been camping out at Swansea's seafront with her friend Fletcher since the end of August.

Hellen has been forced to sleep on the streets on and off for nine months after suffering domestic violence from an ex-partner, but now claims she cannot get a home and has revealed she has resorted to begging for cash.

She recalls her tent being "slashed, with people damaging it's cords", because locals want them away from the area.

Hellen told Wales Online: "We’ve been banned from town for a week, for begging.

"People think we are begging for drugs, alcohol, whatever, but we are out here for a living.

She claims: “I’ve been here ten weeks in this tent. I’ve come from Port Talbot, where they say they say they’ll help me with property, but I’ll have to find one first. They tell us to find something on Facebook - but how can you get Facebook here?

“I’ve only got a tent. We’ve got nada. We’re third class citizens. The police don’t help or anything."

South Wales Police told the news site, "protecting the most vulnerable is a priority in the communities they serve", and officers work closely with partners to ensure services are available for those in need.

Hellen's pal Fletcher, 57, keeps watch on her at night while her partner is out begging.

Fletcher, who claims to have suffered two heart attacks and three strokes, said: “We survive the best we can, without committing crime, which is hard.

“I’ve been here ten weeks in this tent. I’ve come from Port Talbot, where they say they say they’ll help me with property, but I’ll have to find one first. They tell us to find something on Facebook - but how can you get Facebook here?

“I’ve only got a tent. We’ve got nada. We’re third class citizens. The police don’t help or anything.”

Shelter in Swansea is limited, which has sparked calls for the creation of a "safe zone" in the area where sleeping space, a roof, and basic toilet facilities are provided.

A similar £600,000 scheme opened in Bristol this summer, creating a 30-bed 24-hour homeless night shelter.

It is an idea being championed in Swansea by Plaid Cymru.

Homeless individual Daniel claims a safe zone would work.

He told Wales Online: “A safe zone would be handy. I’d say have it near the beach, you could put up tents there. You’d be helping the community and making people aware.”

Another homeless individual, Dan, has also called on more help to be given.

He said: "I’d love a place, like a safe zone. I need a bit of support, a bit of guidance, a bit of help.”

John, who has been sleeping rough for more than ten years, added: “This place really needs shaking up.

“There are more and more places being built for students, but what about us who already live in the community?

"What we want is like a community club, or a community space.

“There is nothing at the moment for anyone. Some of the police move us on, sometimes they don’t.

“They can move us on, but we’re only going to go down the road, or somewhere else."

Swansea Council cabinet member for homes and energy, councillor Andrea Lewis, told the news site: "The extent and complexity of the issues that face the Council and its partners over the next four years should not be under-estimated.

“However publishing a strategy is the easy bit. Homelessness cannot be solved by simply securing housing. Tackling homelessness is the responsibility of the council as a corporate body and has major implications for us delivering on our corporate goals to safeguard vulnerable people and children and to tackle poverty.

“We will ensure that homelessness continues to hold a high priority at a corporate level.”

Rough sleeping in Swansea rose 37 per cent between 2015-2017.