A MUM has died and her baby is fighting for life after being hit by a car as she pushed a pram in south east London.

Police were called to Croydon Road, in Annerley, near Penge, at 8pm on Sunday.

Officers and paramedics fought to save the mum, in her 20s, but she was declared dead at the scene.

The baby boy, believed to be eight months old, was taken to hospital.

His injuries are reportedly life-threatening.

The driver of the car has also been taken to hospital.

He has not been arrested and is believed to be speaking with police.

Harrowing video from the scene shows at least 12 emergency vehicles flooding the street.

The officers cover the mother's body in a blue sheet and erect a tent around the scene.

A witness posted on Facebook: "Boy what a sad start for 2019. (I was) just passing, going about my business and I came across such a horrific accident.

"A car hit a babymother while she was trying to cross the road.

"The fire brigade is here, the ambulance are here, the police are here."

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: "A car was found to have been involved in a collision with a mother and a baby in a pram.

"Despite the efforts of officers and paramedics, the mother, believed to be in her 20s, was declared dead at the scene

"The baby has been taken to hospital. His injuries have been assessed as life-threatening.

"Road closures have been put in place.

"The driver of the car, who stopped at the scene, has been taken to hospital. His injuries are non life-threatening."

Officers closed off the surrounding roads.

At this early stage officers are working to establish the full circumstances of the incident.

Any witnesses or anyone with any information is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.