A MUM forced her young son to wear an 'I am a bully' T-shirt after learning he had picked on classmates.

The women said she took the action after hearing he had been calling other students at his school in Texas names like "stupid" and "idiots".

The mum, who wanted to be only known by her first name Star, said she is a "very old-school parent" who doesn't "coddle" her children.

Star even posted a picture of her son, 11, in the shirt on Facebook so that any parents whose children were bullied "could get a personal apology".

She added: "I wanted to know what he learned from it and he said, 'I learned that I didn't like the way that that felt and I don't want anybody else to feel that way because of me.

"That's exactly what I wanted him to take from it."

Star was forced to remove the Facebook post due to negative comments but stands by her decision.

She added: "He'll survive. And he's already been treating his sisters better. He's already been treating his cousins better.

"He learned from it. That's all that matters."

The Splendora Independent School District told ABC news: "Parents have the rights to make important decisions and take certain actions on behalf of their child.

"This parent met with our counselor at Greenleaf Elementary School to discuss the student wearing the "I am a Bully" T-shirt.

"The counselor, parent, and student met with all three of the student's teachers prior to entering the classroom."

They added: "The parent explained her rationale for the student wearing the shirt to the teachers and counselor.

"Ensuring a safe, physical, emotional, and social environment is one of Splendora ISD's Core Principles.

"With that in mind, our counselor checked on the child throughout the day on Friday and plans to follow up with the student and the parent early this week."