A MUM has been charged over the tragic death of her own daughter whose diabetes diagnosis was allegedly kept hidden and untreated.

Emily Hampshire, 14, died in "completely senseless" circumstances last month after being kept in the dark about her disease, prosecutors in Illinois, USA, claim.

They charged her mother Amber with involuntary manslaughter and endangering the life or health of a child on Thursday.

Amber, 39, was "fully aware" of her daughter's condition - first diagnosed when the girl was nine-years-old - but did not administer treatment, according to officials.

Prosecutor Tom Gibbons, told Fox News 2: "Amber Hampshire had all of the information and all of the resources available to take care of this and instead chose to conceal it from even the closest family members".

It is believed that Emily's dad was not aware of her diabetes diagnosis.

Her disease would have been "absolutely survivable" had she received treatment, Gibbons added.

Detectives allegedly found stockpiled medication at the family's home in Madison County.

Emily was first struck down with diabetic ketoacidosis in February this year.

She suffered another attack - which can be treated with insulin - in November, but died.

Following the tragedy, Amber wrote on Facebook: "My girl gained her wings and is now an angel.

"I miss her more than words can express."

It is not believed that religious convictions are a factor in any potential motive, according to prosecutors.

Gibbons said: "Investigators looked into that angle and I don’t think there’s any reason to believe that’s a claim or defense in this case."

He added: "I think there will be substantial evidence to the contrary.”

Hampshire handed herself in to cops on Thursday and is no longer in custody.

A trial date is yet to be set.