A MUM and baby son had a "miracle" escape when a huge tree branch smashed onto their car in Storm Callum.

Ellie Jaeger-Fozard and 11-month-old Richard were sat in the vehicle in Edgerton, Yorks, when the near miss happened.

They were waiting for dad James to finish up at work as the branch was torn off in the strong winds.

Ellie, 26, of Newsome, said her heart was in her mouth as the branch fell across the road with a sickening thud onto the car bonnet and windscreen.

She said: "I couldn't believe it. If I had parked just a few inches further up the road it could have been very different.

"Richard was in the passenger seat and playing with the steering wheel as he waited for his daddy to arrive when the tree crashed down.

"Fortunately I managed to get him out and phoned the police. The bonnet was dented and the windscreen was hit by the falling tree too."

Grandad Neil Harling was soon on the scene after hearing about what had happened to his daughter.

He said: "I'm just very glad that everyone is OK and no-one has been hurt. It doesn't bear thinking about what might have been."

James added: "I think we will all be having a stiff drink tonight. I'm just so relieved everyone is OK."

Police arrived immediately and set about taping off the scene and waited for a tree surgeon to arrive and begin removing it.

Kirklees councillor Gemma Wilson said: "I live in Edgerton and I've been quite nervous about the trees outside my home, it has been very blustery indeed.

"I'm really glad that mum and baby are OK, it must have been a terrible shock for something like that to happen. Let's hope the winds start to calm down soon."

As the storm grips the UK one part of south Wales, the Brecon Beacons village of Libanus, recorded 182mm of rain in just 48 hours - way above the monthly total for the region of 169mm.

A number of weather warnings are in place until late this evening - with an amber warning for rain for south Wales where flooding is likely.

Met Office meteorologist Helen Roberts said: "There will be more wet and windy weather for similar parts of the country - predominantly western areas - which could cause more flooding.

"The east and south east of England will see the best of the drier and brighter weather, where it will be even warmer than yesterday and could reach 25C - way above average for the time of the year."

Temperatures are up for this time of year, with highs of 25C possible in the south east today.

Tomorrow it is expected to fall back to closer to average, with temperatures of around 15-17C predicted.

The rain is set to continue through central and southern parts of the country this evening, before it starts to clear tomorrow.