A MUM-of-two has died after she fell 60ft off an airport footbridge in Spain while on her way home to surprise her dad for Christmas.

Judith Coughlan, 28, from Arklow in Co Wicklow, was killed instantly when she fell at Alicante-Elche Airport in the south-east of the Iberian country.

The mum, who was named by Irish media, died shortly before 6pm on December 23 as she crossed the footbridge over the bus area at the airport.

Paramedics attempted to resuscitate Ms Coughlan who then transferred her to the Hospital General Universitario de Elche but was later pronounced dead.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed that they are providing consular assistance to Ms Coughlan’s family.

Ms Coughlan was described as being “positive and gorgeous” and was on her way home to surprise her dad for Christmas.

Her partner had dropped her off at the airport but was unaware of the incident until he was informed by the emergency services.

He has posted photos of the mum in recent days, adding in one post: “RIP Judith, wish I was there with you.”

Another paid tribute to the woman, writing: "The Queen! So positive and gorgeous and yet the most humble person you could ever meet! The world's a lot less brighter without her in it."

Another added: "So beautiful inside and out."

On another post, a friend said: "Heartbroken omg, my condolences to you and the girls, I always called her my modern day Marilyn Monroe. RIP Judith."