Mothers have clashed with a café owner after being told they could not park their stollers inside her shop.

Faith & Co Café near Wellington on New Zealand's North Island opened last year and has been slammed with a barrage of one-star reviews.

'Not at all child friendly like advertised. My family and two kids were asked to leave this afternoon because we had kids and a pram. Apparently it was too busy, despite there being free tables which we tried sitting at. Very disappointing!' one mother wrote.

The café does not allow childrens' strollers in the café when two specific areas near the front window are packed.

The café owner, Faith Proctor, told Stuff that the decision was based on safety only, explaining that when the spaces near the window are full, the buggies can't go anywhere else because it's not safe.

'I had to jump through many hoops costing many thousands of dollars to assure the council I was going to make sure there was egress for every single person in my cafe. I have to please the council. I have to please the fire service with egress, I have to look after my other customers,' Ms Procter said.

'I have to make sure children are not harmed. I have huge public liability insurance, and it's just so much more, but unfortunately I can't explain that to people.'

Under the Building Act it is a requirement that café owners ensure their premises are safe for customers and that proper entryways and exits are kept free from obstructions.