SHORTAGES of clinicians able to screen women for breast cancer has triggered an internal SA Health call for “spare” workers – but even the head doctor admits it is probably just a courtesy call.

Clinical Director of SA Medical Imaging, Dr Marc Agzarian, called for help, but says the pressure on the system means it is unlikely to be met.

He sent a general email to colleagues across the system this week appealing for help after an approach from BreastScreen SA.

“I was asked if the SA Medical Imaging (SAMI) sites that have radiologists who also work at BreastScreen SA could “spare” them for one or more sessions to allow them to report BreastScreen SA viewers, rather than work at the SAMI site,” his appeal states.

“I also told (BreastScreen) that all SAMI sites are under significant pressure, particularly with the recent and ongoing Emergency Department overcrowding.

“I am also aware that some sites may have consultant vacancies and/or consultants on sick leave. Thus, to be clear, I am in no way wanting to “pressure” you.

“I expect that you will not be able to release radiologists to assist BreastScreen SA, but out of courtesy, I wanted to ask you all the question.”

Breast screening has been one of the great health success stories.

Cancer Australia figures show in 2010-14, individuals diagnosed with breast cancer had a 91 per cent chance of surviving for five years.

This was a significant improvement from the period between 1985-89, when the survival rate was 73 per cent.