MONASH University has been accused of advocating political violence in a “confronting” ad playing in high rotation on TV and cinema screens.

The ad, which is screening before Avengers: Infinity War, opens with a warning that “some may find the following disturbing” before showing viral footage of American white supremacist Richard Spencer being punched in the face during a TV interview.

It then features a montage of news footage highlighting political causes — climate change, Middle East wars, refugees — including a march calling for the Manus Island detention centre to be closed, and indigenous activists protesting the “Stolenwealth Games” on the Gold Coast.

“If you don’t like it, change it,” the tagline reads.

“I think it’s pretty pathetic to be honest,” Monash University Liberal Club president Chris McHenry said. “It’s very easy to interpret the ad as saying, ‘If you don’t like students with views different to your own, go punch them in the face.’”

Mr McHenry said the “Change It” ad received a “very strong backlash” on Facebook when it launched late last month. “It represents Monash University’s ongoing campaign to appease the worst kind of tribal politics,” he said.

“I don’t think it’s necessarily advocating violence, but I think it can certainly be interpreted that way, and Monash has a responsibility to ensure none of their ads can be seen as promoting violence.”

The 21-year-old law and commerce student said the “hypocrisy” of the ad was “staggering”, given Monash threatened disciplinary action against students at its Malaysian campus for participating in anti-government protests in 2016.

“It’s again just another corporation trying to pander to far-Left sentiment under the false assumption that it will encourage students to come and attend the university,” he said.

On Facebook and YouTube, many users were critical of the ad. “Punching someone in the face who has an opinion you don’t like is the best way to #ChangeIt?” wrote Eoin Evans.

“As a former soldier and Monash alumni, I’m saddened by this aggressive propaganda, which blatantly endorses extremism,” Eddie Amiet added.

“We absolutely do not encourage violence, although we strongly encourage opinions — even unpopular ones,” Monash University replied.

“We’re using this opportunity to point out the dysfunctional state of relationships between dissenting groups, and advocating the use of great research, better understanding and improved communication to establish a conversation and initiate change.”

Mr McHenry said his group, which has about 100 members, would “probably just let it go unfortunately”. “The far Left on campus has got away with all sorts of things,” he said.

Last year, student protesters forced their way into a meeting attended by Federal MP Kevin Andrews, yelling and calling him a “f**king prick”.

Mr McHenry said the Liberal Club lodged a complaint with the chancellor about the incident but it went nowhere. “I don’t know if they tacitly support it or they just let people get away with it,” he said.

Mr McHenry said Monash was “one of the most left-wing” universities and that conservative students kept their views to themselves. “In fact, I don’t tell anyone that I’m president of the Liberal Club,” he said.

“It’s not so much fear of other students — you’ve got to be careful with tutors. A lot of things you get participation marks for and things like that you don’t want to give anyone a reason to give you a bad mark.”

The ad, which features an original song by hip-hop group A.B. Original, was created by advertising agency Y&R Melbourne and signed off by Monash University chief marketing officer Fabian Marrone.

“There are serious challenges facing the world and the human race, but we all have the power to address them head on. ‘If you don’t like it, change it’ is a call to action,” Mr Marrone said in a press release last month.

“It’s Monash acknowledging we have a role to play in the solutions and inviting those who want to change their lives or the lives of those around them to be part of it.

“The campaign acknowledges those agents of change already taking action and mobilising others. It acknowledges the challenges the global community is facing and reminds us we can all play a role in progress.”

Y&R Melbourne executive creative director Jake Barrow said universities were “meant to be full of the restless and change-makers”. “It is no secret that, right now, the world needs them more than ever,” he said.

“This idea seeks to identify these people and give them the opportunities to leave the world in better shape than they found it.”

Monash University has been contacted for comment.