THIS is the dramatic moment a drone saves a missing pensioner lost in woodland last weekend.

Thermal imaging was used to find the 83-year-old — who suffers from dementia — after she went missing in Corsham, Wilts.

She was spotted huddling for warmth in a wooded area near a storage yard late on Saturday night.

The woman was found suffering from exhaustion and in pain from the cold weather and police believe she may have died if she was not found that evening.

The drone was deployed just half an hour after the woman was reported missing amid fears for her safety.

Dog handlers and police helicopters were also dispatched to help hunt for the vulnerable woman — as well as a team of volunteers from Wiltshire Search and Rescue.

The drone is equipped with a thermal imaging camera — which can be viewed live by officers on the ground to help them search large areas quickly.

It was able to locate the distressed woman within an hour and was used to guide in officers on foot.

Special Insp Guy Sanders, who piloted the drone, said: "Obviously, due to her age, the illness and the dropping temperatures in the evening we were all really worried about her.

"Luckily, the drone is able to cover huge areas, and the thermal camera picks up heat sources enabling us to clear the 'cold areas' quickly so we can focus on heat detail.

"I'm really glad we found her when we did."

Police and Crime Commissioner Angus Macpherson said: "Once again this new technology has saved the life of a vulnerable member of our community by getting out there, getting up there and getting the job done quickly.

"I am really proud of our Special Constabulary volunteers who give up their free time to do this and I'm committed to ensuring that Wiltshire remains at the forefront of technology to find new and better ways to protect our communities."