A COUPLE lives as modern Flintstones – eating bugs and wearing clothes made of rabbit fur like cavemen.

Naomi Walmsley, 36, and husband Dan Westall, 38, dress in full Paleolitihic designs they create themselves and use bow and arrows to hunt.

The couple, from Coalbrookdale, Shrops., have transformed a patch of woods near Blymhill Common in the village of Tong, Staffs., into an accurate Stone Age village – just ten minutes from the M54.

They run Outback2Basics, an organisation which educates schoolchildren in Stone Age skills - from painting, eating bugs and making arrows to the workings of a compost toilet.

Mum-of-two Naomi describes her outfits as “cave woman fashion” with throws made primarily of rabbit fur, while Dan dons tines made from deer antler round his neck.

Naomi said: “We are modern Stone Age people, that’s what I always tell people.

“The kids who meet us actually think we’re actually from the Stone Age.

“We try and bring this way of living into our lives when we can.

“I had a whole day off the other day so I made loads of arrows, and when we have a day as a family we always choose to spend time in nature in these woods or elsewhere.”

Dan added: “I do dress up most days.

“Occasionally you’ll forget and go and get petrol and catch yourself in the reflection and think, oh damn, it’s happened again.

“The reaction in the car when I have my full face paint on in a traffic jam is pretty funny too, they just stare.”

Naomi added: “When you go to pay it’s like the cashier is thinking, don’t let them know I know.

“They don’t go ‘wow, are you going to a fancy dress party?’

“They don’t say anything, which is almost weirder. They will ask if you’re having a good day.

“I’m like, I know I am dressed up like a cave woman.”

Naomi and Dan have two young daughters: Wren, 20 months, and Maggie, six, while Dan also has an older daughter called Sam who lives in London.

Having always been interested in the outdoors, Dan worked as a survival consultant behind the scenes on various TV shows.

The couple met 13 years ago while working at a hostel in North Wales and have spent every day since working and living together.

But they decided that if they were going to properly teach survival skills then they would have to go and experience it, so in 2010 they went on Lynx Vilden’s Stone Age immersion project in America.

The couple brought their experience back to the UK to focus on teaching schoolchildren after the Stone Age entered into the curriculum.

Since then, they have invited 1,100 children into the woods from September 2016 to January last year.