As hundreds of fresh-faced hopefuls strut their stuff on a chilly Sydney morning for a coveted spot in the spring/summer fashion parades, a young Ugandan Australian model says the shift towards diverse-looking models is a welcome change.

In 1992, Solomon Serugga's parents moved from Uganda to Perth to start a new life in Australia, and the 23-year-old called the city home until relocating to Sydney a few months ago to chase his modelling and acting dreams.

"Growing up, you didn't see that much diversity unless it was in 'out-there magazines', nothing that was normal, or casual stuff you would see on the racks," Mr Serugga told AAP.

"It's pretty good that now they are trying to push it, especially because Australia is so diverse and now that there is a lot of first-generation people of different backgrounds growing up in this society."

Across Sydney and Melbourne, about 350 models will find out in coming weeks whether they have made the top-40 for the David Jones SS18 launch in August.

The retailer has been at the forefront for spearheading change in the industry by using ambassadors, including indigenous beauty Samantha Harris, and its current face Jessica Gomes with her Portuguese and Chinese heritage.

"DJs is always so great how they pave the way, it was amazing that they took me on board as their face and ambassador because I never really worked in Australia prior to that," Gomes tells AAP.

Serugga, who also works part-time at a recycling plant that transforms excavated waste into mud, continues to stay hopeful about the positive transformation in the industry while he awaits the judges' final decision.

"Even today you saw that there was maybe about three dark-skinned people, but if people start seeing 'oh there's a guy there doing that', they might start going 'oh I want to see how I can get there'."

Gomes, 33, was on hand during the Sydney casting call to assist fellow judges designer Johnny Schembri and stylist Kimberly Gardner in selecting the models for the upcoming shows.

"You're going to be seeing a lot of older models in the show which is great, [from age] 70 down I think."