A CAGEFIGHTER has been jailed for killing a champion weightlifter after they got into a street fight.

A sickening video shows world and European championship powerlifter Andrey Drachev, 32, brawling shirtless in the road with 26-year-old Anar Allakhveranov.

They were fighting after a heated argument over whether Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighting is better than gymnastics.

But he was killed after trading kicks and punches with the trained fighter.

Earlier today, Allakhveranov was found guilty of homicide and sentenced to 18 years in prison.

Speaking of the attack, he apologised to the Drachev family and admitted he wishes he “could turn back time”.

He said: “I want to apologise to Andrey's family and parents for my actions that caused so much pain.

“I did not want this and did not plan it as the investigators allege.

“I know what it is like to lose someone close, and I understand how Andrey's parents must feel.”

The savage fight took place last August outside a cafe in the city of Khabarovsk in southeastern Russia’s Khabarovsk Krai region.

Allakhveranov is seen punching Drachev in the face and knocking him to the ground.

He then lands a few more punches on his head.

Two men tried to step in to stop the altercation but Drachev died from his injuries.

Allakhveranov was arrested by police following his opponent’s death.

According to local reports, Drachev had been involved in another fight prior to his street brawl.

Allakhveranov is believed to be trained in MMA fighting after online videos show him honing various fighting techniques.

It is not known whether anyone else was arrested over the incident.

Drachev is a champion fighter in his native Russia, and in 2011 won silver at the world power-lifting championships.