MICHAEL D Higgins gave a passionate speech after he was re-elected as President of Ireland.

The Galway politician scooped 822,566 of the 1,473,900 valid votes in the election – giving him a landslide victory.

Addressing the crowd in Dublin Castle, President Higgins said: “I want to acknowledge the offer of public service that my fellow candidates have made in standing for this important role.

“The President of Ireland draws its strength and independent mandate from the direct vote of the people of Ireland. It represents Ireland — in all our strengths and vulnerabilities.

“I appreciate the significance of the great honour the people of Ireland have placed upon me and I accept the mandate with humility, but also with determination and excitement.

“We are in a time of transformation an there is a momentum for empathy, compassion, inclusion and solidarity which must be recognised and celebrated.

“A real republic is a life lived together and ‘together’ has been one of those words that has resonated throughout the campaign as has another word — ‘authenticity’.

“Both are so important. People are interested in conversations and ideas that are sincere and constructive. Words matter. Words can hurt. Words can heal. Words can empower. Words can divide.

“The words and ideas I have used in this campaign reflect a vision for Ireland based on four strands: equal and together, strong sustainable communities, sharing history, shaping the future and Ireland’s voice matters.”

“The people have made a choice as to which version of Irishness they want reflected at home and abroad.

“It is the making of hope they wish to share rather than the experience of any exploitation of division or fear.”

He added: “Over the next seven years, I will represent your voice, Ireland’s voice.

“I will on your behalf represent an Ireland looking for a peaceful world.

“This is a time to be active rather than passive.

“I will be a president for everyone in the country, for those who voted for me and those who did not.”

Dragon’s Den star Peter Casey came in second place with 342,727 people voting for him.

Sean Gallagher finished in third with 94,514 votes, Liadh Ni Riada got 93,987, Joan Freeman had 87,908 and Gavin Duffy received 32,198.