MELANIA Trump seemed to know what was to come in a 1999 interview where she talks about being first lady one day.

The then 26-year-old was still Melania Knauss and she had been dating Donald Trump for about a year.

She said back then that he would be a “great president”.

“He’s very smart. He knows how to do a business. He would be a great leader,” she said in the ABC interview.

When asked if she could picture herself as first lady, she replied “Yes. I would be very traditional like Jackie Kennedy and Betty Ford. I will support him. I will do a lot of social obligations.”

She gave her charity of choice as the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Mrs Trump said she would happily give up her modelling career to support her man.

However, she denied that she was dating Mr Trump for his money.

“You know the people they don’t know me. People who talk like this they don’t know me,” she said. “You can’t sleep or hug or talk with beautiful things with beautiful apartment, beautiful plane, beautiful cars, beautiful houses — you can’t do that. You could feel very empty. And if somebody said you’re with the man because he’s rich and famous. They don’t know me.”

Mrs Trump also played down Mr Trump’s “playboy” persona, saying it was “a man thing, and sometimes I find it very cute”.

She and Trump tied the knot in January 2005 in a wedding at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida.