They say when in Rome, do as the Romans do. And the Duchess of Sussex did just that by trying her hand at Aussie Rules football in Melbourne.

Meghan tossed the oval ball during a reception held for her and Prince Harry on the third day of their tour of Australia and New Zealand.

It was part of a sporting demonstration for the This Girl Can campaign.

Thousands of people turned out to see the couple, who recently announced they are expecting a baby.

Prince Harry and Meghan abandoned their strict schedule and instead spent 25 minutes meeting royal fans.

Some members of the crowd gave the parents-to-be presents for their unborn child, including 10-year-old Courtney Pistone.

She gave Meghan a large Teddy bear. "I gave it to her for the nursery," she said.

"I thought it would be suitable because we didn't know if it was a boy or a girl and both boys and girls like bears."

Some members of the crowd sang Stand By Me - a song the couple chose for their wedding service in May.

The duke and duchess then went on to a reception at Government House.

During a fitness display by 150 women, Meghan was convinced to throw an Australian Football League (AFL) game ball as part of the This Girl Can campaign, a Sport England initiative licensed to Vic Health in Australia.

"I'm not sure I will be good," she said, before giving it a go. "I'm not sure I did it right!" she added.

Jerril Rechter, who showed the couple around, said: "She did pass an AFL football. She did a handball. That's a pretty incredible thing for anybody to do."

During another demonstration, Meghan got a shock when a group of school children demonstrated a miniature F1 race track.

Pupils from Trinity Grammar forgot to remind Prince Harry and Meghan about the loud noise generated by the miniature cars.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
The couple had lunch at the social enterprise restaurant Charcoal Lane, prepared by young indigenous chefs.

They ate a starter of mushroom and quinoa nest, and chargrilled kangaroo, followed by a main course of wild boar, saffron risotto and barramundi.