The Internet Party is slated to come to the US in 2015, according to Dotcom, who describes himself as an "Internet freedom fighter."

Kim Dotcom, the polarizing figure behind file-storage and -sharing service Megaupload, has decided to bring his Internet Party to the US.

Dotcom, who was born Kim Schmitz in Germany, announced Monday on his Twitter account that his own political party, known as the Internet Party, will arrive in the US next year. Dotcom tweeted that the party will be "well-funded and run by American citizens," adding that some of its founders come from the "music, film, and Internet" industries.

"I'm not a pirate, I'm not a fugitive, I'm not a flight risk," Dotcom wrote in one tweet on Monday. He went on to call himself an "Internet freedom fighter" and "Hillary's worst nightmare in 2016" -- the latter referencing former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton who is considering a presidential bid in the 2016 election.

Dotcom originally rose to fame in the 1990s in Germany's hacking community. He started Megaupload in 2005, offering a tool for people to share potentially copyrighted material. In 2012, Dotcom was indicted in the US on several charges related to online piracy. He was arrested in New Zealand, where he had residency, but was later released and has yet to be extradited to the US to face charges.

The Internet Party, founded in March by Dotcom in New Zealand, says it aims to reduce government oversight and reform copyright laws. It has also identified education, research and development, and unemployment reduction among its other goals. The party participated in the general election there earlier this year but failed to win any races. The party, however, still operates and plans to continue participating in future elections.

The US expansion is a curve ball. Dotcom, who has long had a reputation for making big splashes, is expected to provide more details about the party in coming months.