THEY may be famous for their chicken nuggets - but McDonald's customers weren't expecting to find their bestseller inside their veggie wraps.

Vegetarian visitors to the fast food chain around the UK have complained after finding chicken chunks in their meat-free orders.

The spicy veggie wrap - which was launched earlier this month at £1.99, and is labelled as Vegetarian Society Approved - is meant to have red pesto vegetarian goujon as its core ingredient, along with relish, tomato, lettuce and red onion.

But customers have been opening theirs up to discover chicken instead.

And the culinary mishap has been happening all around the country - with those in Liverpool, Birmingham, Kent, Lincoln, Yorkshire, Elgin, London and Bristol all complaining.

McDonald's also offer a sweet chilli chicken wrap, suggesting perhaps a recipe mix-up is to blame.

Taking to Twitter, one very unhappy customer wrote: "@McDonalds I ordered a spicy veggie wrap from one of your stores and thanks to the sheer incompetency of some of your staff I’ve been given chicken.

"I’ve been veggie my whole life and this has literally put me in tears as I ingested part of this wrap thinking it was veggie."

Sharing a video, another commented: "Hi @McDonalds just ordered the veggie wrap from your store in Byker, turns out you gave me chicken!!!!!! This is disgraceful I’m fuming was so looking forward to this!!! I’m a strict vegetarian and just took a mouthful of chicken, thanks a lot. #Veganuary @watchdog"

A third shared: "Not going to lie but finding chicken in my Veggie Wrap was quite surprising @McDonalds But definitely not loving it #TheSpicyVeggieOne #VeganJanuary #Veganuary2019"

Customers have been complaining throughout January.

A spokesperson for McDonald's told The Sun Online: “We absolutely recognise that it is not acceptable to serve meat when our vegetarian product has been ordered, and we would like to apologise to any customer who has experienced this.

"We would also like to reassure that we have a number of procedures in place to avoid inaccurate orders, and that, after we saw that mistakes were being made, we introduced a number of additional measures in our kitchens and communicated with all stores to reduce inaccuracies quickly and effectively.

"This action has led to an increase in order accuracy and a reduction in contact from our customers, however we are disappointed that mistakes are still being made.

"We never want to disappoint customers, and any inaccuracy is not good enough – we would encourage anyone with any concerns to contact our Customer Services team.”