COPS are hunting for a man accused of raping and severely injuring a baby boy in Tennessee.

Simon Porter, 33, is believed to have fled during a police probe after telling his wife he was scared he'd be arrested.

Police have released several photos of Porter, who's been added to Tennessee's Top Ten Most Wanted list.

Investigators were called in after doctors at the Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville treated the 16-month-old child for injuries, reports WKRN.

It's understood Porter was then named as a suspect.

Lieutenant Blake Grooms of Lawrenceburg Police told the news channel that the little boy was hurt "to the point of permanent damage for the rest of his life."

Speaking about Porter's attempt to flee, Grooms added: "According to his wife, he took off and did not tell her where he was going. The last thing he told her [was] he was scared he was about to be arrested."

Porter is described as 5ft 9in, with red hair and hazel eyes. A reward of $3,500 (£2,725) is now being offered for information on his whereabouts.

His mother, who maintains he's innocent, appealed to her son via US media.

She said: "Son please bring yourself in. I love you so much son, I don't want you to get hurt. I don't want nothing to happen to you.

"Do the right thing, you know you didn't do this, please bring yourself in, prove to them you are innocent."