AN American man was horrified after he found a stomach-churning note about how his burger was prepared when he finished his meal.

Curtis Mays, from New York, had just finished his meal at the Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden in Queens when he noticed a foul note on the bill that read “spit in it too”.

“I ate my burger already, I felt like I was gonna throw up,” Mays said to ABC 11 after he had dinner with his daughter and granddaughter.

“I asked her [the server] ‘Why would you do this?’ And she couldn’t explain it. She said she didn’t do it, so I was like ‘Who prints out the receipt?’ So she said, ‘I take it up there and print it myself.’ ‘So you did it? Why are you lying about it?’ She just walked off,” he added.

Mays then immediately approached the manager.

“He was saying, ‘How can we compensate you?’ I was like, ‘How can you compensate somebody for spitting on your food? I ate this already,’” he said.

Mays revealed the waitress was fired on the spot and he received a refund.

The unnamed manager further divulged to ABC that the food service industry can be a “stressful job,” but that the incident was “unacceptable.”

Claiming that it was “very unlikely” one of the chefs actually spit in the burger, he agreed that he understood Mays’ frustration.

According to the outlet, the Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden has an “A” rating from the New York Department of Health.

In the hours since, the news has sparked debate among commentators on Facebook.

“Maybe she meant to spell, SPLIT,” a critic said.

“Sorry but ‘split’ was not the word she was using. That sentence would not make sense,” another replied. “Also … there is NO auto correct on a POS system. Now, if it was a handheld she was using instead of a set station I suppose that’s possible. No system I have used has that feature.”

“Cook at home,” another simply mused.