THE mystery surrounding the murder of a young Gold Coast woman abducted on her lunch break during a shift at the Pacific Fair shopping centre may finally be solved.

Queensland detectives announced today a 51-year-old man has been charged with the 1983 murder of Linda Reed.

The accused is understood to have been 17 at the time of the murder. The newly married Ms Reed went missing after taking a lunch break during a shift at the Pacific Fair Shopping Centre in Broadbeach on December 13, 1983. The 21-year-old’s bound and gagged body was discovered three days later along with her light-coloured Mazda sedan, filled with Christmas presents, in bushland at Gaven.

In 1986, Craig Andrew McConnell was charged with Ms Reed’s death but was later acquitted due to insufficient evidence.

During McConnell’s trial, pathologist Tony Ansford gave evidence that Ms Reed had probably drowned in the creek bed where her body was found.

In 2009 police announced they had reopened the case following a tip-off from Crime Stoppers.

Witnesses told police they saw a “baby-faced teenager” in the shopping centre car park with blond hair in a “pageboy” style cut.

Homicide detective Senior Sergeant Chris Knight said DNA advances had played a “significant” role in the arrest and subsequent charge.

“Linda’s abduction and murder was completely random and had such a devastating impact on her family and the local community,” Snr Sgt Knight said.

“I commend the work of the officers who were involved in this case from the outset and thank the detectives and forensic officers who worked so diligently to bring this case to a resolution.

“We thank the family for their support throughout the investigation and it is our privilege to bring them the answers they deserve after all this time.”

Ms Reed’s husband Robert Reed thanked police for their tireless work.

“It’s been 35 years since my wife was taken from me, from Nancy and Oskar, her parents, Philipp, her brother, and we just want to thank the police for never giving up on trying to find Linda’s murderer,” he said.

“We cannot thank the Queensland Police enough.”

The accused is expected to face Brisbane Magistrates Court this afternoon.