Polls are closing across Madagascar in a run-off election between two former presidents - Marc Ravalomanana and Andry Rajoelina.

Both men were barred from standing for election five years ago as part of an agreement to end a political crisis in the Indian Ocean island nation.

They received a similar number of votes in the first round and analysts warn that a disputed outcome in what is expected to be a close contest could lead to instability.

Mr Ravalomanana was elected in 2002 but was ousted seven years later after protests led by Mr Rajoelina, who then became president himself.

As they voted both men said they were confident of victory.

Mr Rajoelina, 44, said he would accept the results of the election:

Personally I am confident, I think the Malagasy people will decide once and for all who will lead this country. I am a democrat and I will accept the verdict of the ballot box."

His opponent Mr Ravalomanana, 69, called for change:

I hope we will change this country. I am confident I will achieve change with the participation of all the Malagasy people. We need to have courage and hope. We need to accept the results if the process has gone well and if it respects the democratic electoral process."