A CONTROVERSIAL peer has been sensationally accused of exploiting his powerful position to have sex with a vulnerable woman.

BBC Newsnight revealed lurid allegations that Lord Nazir Ahmed of Rotherham had a sexual relationship with a woman who turned to him for help with a Muslim faith healer.

Tahira Zaman, 43, said she approached the peer through a mutual pal in February 2017 as she thought the healer was a danger to women, and he wrote to the Met Police Commissioner.

But she said he went on to have a sexual relationship with her for two months.

Their liaisons only stopped when Lord Ahmed – dumped from Labour over anti-Semitism in 2013 – refused to leave his wife, it is alleged.

Ms Zaman, who suffers from anxiety and depression, told the BBC: “I was looking for help and he took advantage of me. He abused his power.”

She complained to the standards watchdog at the House of Lords demanding he is disciplined.

But Lord Ahmed, who strongly denies the allegations, was cleared by the Standards Commissioner.

SECOND 'SEX' CLAIM
A second woman accused Lord Ahmed of asking her to spend the night at his London home after she approached him for help.

The woman, who wants to be anonymous, said she thought he was asking for sex.

Fellow peer Lord Carlile said: “If someone comes to you for help, particularly if they’re vulnerable... and you form a sexual relationship, actually that’s disgraceful.”

He said the relationship could amount to a breach of rules saying peers must act with “personal honour”.

He said: “She went to Lord Ahmed because she believed he was in a position to do something influential for her.

“So it’s absolutely clear to me that what he was doing was in his role as a member of the House of Lords.”

Commissioner for Standards, Lucy Scott-Moncrieff, said: “Though credible and substantial, the complaint provided insufficient evidence that contact with the member was in relation to his parliamentary duties.”

Lord Ahmed told Newsnight: “I completely deny the allegation that I have exploited my position to pursue an inappropriate relationship with any member of the public, vulnerable or otherwise, or that I have acted inappropriately in the presence of women either in my personal or professional capacity.”

JAIL & ANTI-SEMITISM
Lord Ahmed is one of the most controversial peers in the Lords.

He was jailed for 12 weeks for dangerous driving in 2009 after he was involved in a car crash which killed a dad-of-two.

He had been sending texts while driving along the motorway shortly before his Jaguar ploughed into an Audi in the road smash on Christmas Day 2007.

Father-of-two Martyn Gombar, 28, who had been drinking, was killed.

Lord Ahmed later blamed his prison sentence on a Jewish conspiracy – causing the Labour Party to boot him out for anti-Semitism.

In 2017 he sparked fresh controversy when he hosted a hate-preaching author as a VIP guest at Parliament’s swanky bar.

He hosted writer Mirza Kashif Ali – who was accused of inciting violence against the Nobel Prize winning activist Malala Yousafzai – at the Strangers Bar overlooking the River Thames.