A LIDL car park has been branded the 'Bermuda Triangle' after a bizarre fault stopped shoppers' car keys from working.

Dozens of customers found that they've been unable to lock or open their cars using electronic fobs at a store in Gloucestershire.

Locals believe that Internet-based traffic cameras in the car park are blocking signals - confusing motorists who were unable to get inside their vehicles.

Retired policeman Graeme Wakerley, 65, noticed the problem while shopping.

He was able to lock his car upon arrival but found his key fob wasn't working when he returned.

The 65-year-old said: "It's bizarre. I assumed the batteries were flat as you would in that situation.

"My son brought a spare and that didn't work either."

Graeme says he has seen others unable to disable their car alarms.

Mr Wakerley shared his experience in the Kingswood Residents Facebook group and found several people had had the same issue with their keys at the Lidl car park.

It's bizarre. I assumed the batteries were flat as you would in that situation.

One woman said she was heavily pregnant and had visited the store with her toddler.

She said: "I had to get in the driver side with him on me to try to start the ignition to then use the lock on the dash to unlock the other doors to get him in the car.

"It's hardly a safe experience."

Another person added: "Glad it's not just me! Myself and a lady next to me looked at each baffled yesterday literally had to stand right next to the front of car.

"It's been happening a while and when I had hubby's car thought battery dead."

Another person said: "That happened to me the other day and I bought new batteries only for it to work when Igot home."
Another added: ''It's like the Bermuda Triangle'.

Mr Wakerley says he has complained to Lidl's head office but has heard nothing back.

The former police officer's theory is the fobs' signals are being blocked by Internet-based traffic cameras in the car park which were switched on a few months ago.

"I strongly suspect it has something to do with that," he said.

However, Lidl said the cameras do not transmit a signal which could block a fob and revealed the supermarket chain does not know what is causing the fault.

A spokesperson said: "We were concerned to learn of this occurrence, and are currently looking into the matter to help identify the cause, and resolve the situation for our customers."