ON Saturday morning, at 4.56am, Liam Gallagher tweeted to his three million followers that he had “never put my hands on any woman in a vicious manner”.

At 10.30pm that night The Sun posted a video to our website showing him doing exactly that – to his very own girlfriend.

The Oasis thug had been banking on the hope that no CCTV of his appallingly violent behaviour existed and that none of the witnesses on the night in question at central London restaurant Chiltern Firehouse would dispute his claims on the record.

Sadly, however, many fans will only listen to Liam’s lie, regardless of the evidence presented elsewhere.

Using social media to promote untruths and peddle lies is now as common among celebrities as it is politicians.

But the difference is diehard supporters of a particular pop or TV star, or boyband or rock group, would never think about questioning something their idol tells them.

From the serious to the totally frivolous and unimportant, it stuns me on a daily basis quite how often stars of different statuses are more than willing to tell fibs of all shapes and sizes directly to the fanbases that keep them successful.

In February, I reported Cheryl and Liam Payne were splitting up, a fact confirmed by close associates to both of the stars.

However, for PR reasons (and reportedly to annoy me) the pair decided to delay the announcement, keeping up a front on social media for a number of months and accusing the Press of fake news.

In recent weeks, Liam has publicly confirmed he split from Cheryl many weeks before they eventually admitted it.

Louis Walsh and Sharon Osbourne both went ballistic when I revealed they would both be axed from The X Factor judging panel this year.

Nasty Mrs O launched a particularly scathing personal attack on Instagram in a case of “don’t shoot the messenger” – it’s not my fault you’re no longer wanted on the show.

Sure enough, in all of the hype of the show’s return this week, she hasn’t even been mentioned.

But by threatening to turn toxic on Simon Cowell, she’s secured a couple of bit-part guest appearances during the live shows.

Last year, during Strictly Come Dancing, I revealed that serial man-eater Gemma Atkinson was having a fling with Alexandra Burke’s pro dance partner Gorka Marquez.

They were even staying the night with each other in hotel rooms – but continually insisted on social media and in numerous interviews there was nothing romantic between them.

Fast forward a few months and they’re a serious couple, regularly posting loved-up selfies on social media.

Love Island’s Chris Hughes denied being in contact with Katie Price – until she produced some screen grabs of the Snapchat messages.

Every day of every week, Victoria and David Beckham present the image of a fairytale marriage full of sweetness, light, peace and harmony.

In fact, like many couples who have suffered serious setbacks, it’s beset by constant rows, jealousies and disagreements.

I could fill column after column with more examples – but the more serious I can’t publish because of draconian legal restrictions imposed on British newspapers.

Am I saying all of these examples are particularly damaging? Nope, not really.

But it’s a warning to anyone who assumes the content of their favourite celeb’s Twitter or Instagram is painting a realistic picture of their lives.

With the media now under the microscope like never before, having to jump through so many legal hoops before publishing anything, it’s about time we wake up to celebrities twisting the truth without any consequences.