THE lawyer for Michael Cohen, US president Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, sent adult film star Stormy Daniels a cease and desist letter late on Sunday following her interview with 60 Minutes where she spoke about her alleged affair with Mr Trump and claimed she faced threats to her safety.

According to Fox News, Brent Blakely, Mr Cohen’s lawyer, demanded that Daniels apologise for insinuating that his client was behind the threat she described that allegedly took place in a Las Vegas parking lot in 2011.

Daniels said in the interview that an unidentified man told her: “Leave Trump alone. Forget the story.”

She said she was with her daughter at the time and the man continued, “That’s a beautiful little girl. It’d be a shame if something happened to her mum.”

The letter, which was also sent to Daniels’s lawyer, Michael Avenatti, demanded that the actress refrain from making “false and defamatory statements” about Mr Cohen in the future.

Mr Avenatti said, “Will this guy ever come clean with the American people or is he more interested in trying to role play Ray Donovan (badly)?”

Daniels went on to tell 60 Minutes that she had one encounter of consensual sex with the future president.

“He knows I’m telling the truth,” said Daniels, whose legal name is Stephanie Clifford. She does not allege that she was coerced in her encounter with Mr Trump, saying, “This is not a ‘Me too.’ I was not a victim.”

Daniels received a $130,000 payment days before the 2016 presidential election for her silence and has sought to invalidate a nondisclosure agreement.

The White House did not immediately comment Sunday on the interview. Mr Trump, through his representatives, has denied the allegations.

Although Mr Cohen has said Mr Trump never had an affair with Daniels, Mr Cohen said he paid the $130,000 out of his pocket and that neither the Trump Organisation nor the Trump campaign was a party to the transaction with Daniels and he was not reimbursed for the payment.

In the interview, Daniels described a sexual encounter with Mr Trump, and the idea of her being a contestant on The Apprentice, which she likened it to a “business opportunity.”

She said he called her several times and would ask if they could get together again and that he had an update for her. She said she felt that he was dangling the opportunity to keep her coming back.

Daniels reported that Mr Trump called her the following month to say he had not been able to get her a spot on his TV show. She said they never met again.

Daniels was asked why she’s talking now: “Because it was very important to me to be able to defend myself,” she said. “I’m not OK with being made out to be a liar, or people thinking that I did this for money and people are like, ‘Oh, you’re an opportunist. You’re taking advantage of this.’ Yes, I’m getting more job offers now, but tell me one person who would turn down a job offer making more than they’ve been making, doing the same thing that they’ve always done?”

Daniels sued the president on March 6, stating that Mr Trump never signed an agreement for her to keep quiet about an “intimate” relationship between them. White House aides did not respond immediately to requests for comment after the interview aired.

Daniels’s lawyer said on Monday that his client receives threats on a “near-hourly basis”. “Now, we don’t have anything tying those to (Trump lawyer) Mr Cohen or Mr Trump, to be clear, but she’s certainly scared for her safety and the safety of her family,” he said.

Doing the rounds on the morning talk shows, Mr Avenatti told CNN it was “fairly obvious” the threat in Las Vegas came from “someone associated with the Trump Organisation.”

Asked about the cease-and-desist letter, Mr Avenatti said, “This is a man who has a history of thuggish behaviour using intimidation tactics trying to step on little people.

“If she’s not telling the truth, let the president take to the podium and call her a liar,” he later told NBC. “Let the president come forward and say it never happened. There is a reason why this $130,000 was paid.”