JAILED Laura Plummer has paid a loving tribute to her Egyptian husband after losing an appeal against her conviction.

The shop assistant, 34, rubbished claims that Omar Saad, 33, had abandoned her soon after her arrest in October last year.

False reports gave rise to incorrect suggestions that she had been duped by Omar into becoming a drugs mule.

But during a prison visit on Sunday the pair sat holding hands and Laura told how he visits her every 15 days.

She said: "Omar has never abandoned me. He has been here for me and supported me throughout.

"He's been wonderful. People can think what they like. The truth is far more boring than that.

"I was just trying to be kind. I thought the tablets would help Omar, that's all. There's nothing more to it.

"There was no way I could have known that they were banned in Egypt."

Laura said she was aware people would suspect she was love-struck and had been duped into bringing the tablets.

But she insisted: "It's just not true. Like I said, the reality is far more boring than that.

"When they arrested me I genuinely thought I was on Beadle's About. I told them I had a taxi waiting for me.

"I thought it was all a joke. I'm just devastated about the appeal. I wanted it so badly to be able to clear my name."

Omar, who met Laura in Sharm el Sheikh while working as a lifeguard, refuses to give up hope.

He said: "Laura is my wife, she's my life and my everything.

"I visit her every 15 days. She's in there alone and if I didn't she would have no one.

"I will support her throughout this."

Omar is regularly in touch with Laura's lawyer, Mohamed Osman, to make sure everything is being done to help free her.

He added: "I won't give up on her."

Laura was jailed for three years on Boxing Day for possessing Tramadol at the start of a two-week hol to the Red Sea coast of Hurghada.

She told prosecutors she had brought the pills for Omar who suffers from a bad back after a car crash.

But they were convinced she was an international drug smuggler working alone.

It was only when The Sun flew out last November and uncovered crucial evidence - including Omar's x-rays and medical notes - that they changed their minds.

We even provided the couple's Orfi marriage certificate to prove that Omar did exist and was not a figment of her imagination, as they claimed.

The drug smuggling claims were immediately dropped but prosecutors proceeded with a possession charge.

Laura was found guilty on Boxing Day and sentenced to three years - the minimum term for possession.

Her appeal was submitted weeks later.

In it, the Foreign Office and the tour operator she booked with both admitted their websites contained no warnings to travellers about prescription medicines.

Tramadol is legally available by prescription in the UK but banned in Egypt.

But seven judges overseeing her case ruled ignorance was no defence and upheld her conviction for possession and her sentence - insisting no legal mistakes had been made.

Laura, of Hull, East Yorks., has now been behind bars for nearly a year and faces her second Christmas in the slammer.

Laura - nicknamed Bridget Jones by other lags at notorious Al Qanater prison - has one appeal left but it could be months before it is heard.

In a statement her family said: “We’re understandably disappointed with the result of the appeal, but not surprised.

“We’ve learnt this last year not to expect too much and to prepare for the worst. We were hopeful common sense would prevail this time but it hasn’t.

“This result, whilst upsetting, only strengthens our resolve to keep fighting for Laura.

"She fights every day to survive and we won’t give up until she is back home where she belongs.

“We are, however, troubled by the fact that nobody saw fit to notify Laura of the appeal result as soon as it was delivered.

"We broke the distressing news to her 24 hours later in a crowded visiting room full of other prisoners."

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "Our staff continue to do all they can to support Laura and her family, and our embassy remains in regular contact with the Egyptian authorities."