A MUM whose baby was decapitated in a botched delivery has revealed how a doctor told her that her baby had been "fixed" so she could say goodbye.

Laura Gallazzi was 25 weeks pregnant when she went into labour, with a top NHS doctor pulling the baby's legs during the birth.

But the baby's head was detached from his body during the horrific delivery, with his head still left in his mother's womb.

The first-time mum was then forced to undergo a C-section to remove the head - which was sewn back on to the tragic tot's body so she could hold him and say goodbye.

Cradling the plush bear that holds her son's ashes, the mum revealed to BBC Radio Scotland her terror at seeing her son's body, unsure what she would be confronted with.

She said: "I thought 'I don't want to see him, don't bring him in here', because I didn't know what I was going to be looking at.

"The doctor said 'it's alright'. Her words were 'I've fixed him'."

Since a tribunal into the 2014 delivery at Dundee's Ninewells hospital in Dundee, Scotland, Laura has spoken out of how she could not forgive the consultant gynaecologist, Dr Vaishnavy Laxman, for Steven's death.

The investigation found that while Dr Laxman's decision to proceed with a vaginal delivery instead of a C-section was a mistake, the medic was cleared to return to work.

Traumatised Laura, 34, earlier told The Sun: "She butchered my son. How could this happen in this day and age?”

Only three babies in the world are known to have succumbed to such a sickening fate and Laura said: "It’s like something from medieval times. I never imagined this would be my experience of birth.”

Dr Laxman admitted she had tried “too hard” to deliver the tot and the tribunal said she had been wrong not to carry out the initial C-section. But it ruled the senior gynaecologist had been working in the “best interests” of the mum, and that she posed “no risk to patient safety”.

The ordeal has taken a huge toll on haunted Laura who now suffers post-traumatic stress disorder.

The mum now keeps Steven's ashes in a teddy so she can have him with her — and on her forearm has tattoo prints of his hands and feet as well as the roman numerals of the year he was born.

She says: “Even though I wasn’t ever able to hold him, I can carry him with me wherever I go now. Where I go, the teddy goes. I draw enormous comfort from it and would be lost without it.”