A CONVICTED paedophile has joined calls for a school not to be built across the road from him.

John Phelan, 64, who we unmask for the first time today, molested and sexually assaulted two brothers as young as nine, one of whom later took his own life.

And when questioned by our reporter, the deviant admitted “it makes sense” that people have concerns about the school’s location, adding: “I’d object myself.”

Abuse survivor Peter Fitzpatrick has waived his right to anonymity so the sexual deviant can be named publicly.

In an exclusive interview with the Irish Sun on Sunday, Peter tells how he is speaking out to warn against the development of the school on the paedophile’s doorstep in Trumera, Co Laois.

There is no suggestion that any officials of the school or the Department of Education were aware of Phelan’s proximity to the new site.

When approached by our reporter, Phelan first said: “Where did you get the name? Where did you get my name?”

We informed the 64-year-old we were doing a story about concerns regarding about the proximity of the proposed new school to his house.

Asked if he had served time in prison for sexual offences against children, Phelan said: “Yes…yeah, right.”

And the convicted paedophile declared he doesn’t want the school built outside his house.

Phelan said: “It makes sense (to have concerns). I would object to the school going there myself. Because it is going to create problems.

"Not for me, but it is going to create problems for parents if they are concerned about it, certainly, sure, and why not?”

Asked if any concerns had been raised to him, Phelan said: “Yes, I understand, of course. But that is 30 years ago, it is done and dusted as far as I am concerned.

"I have moved on. You forget about these things, and carry on. I have no ill feelings against anybody, I have served my time, I got on great in prison, I was treated exceptionally well and I came home to good friends and family.

"What more could you ask for? It doesn’t concern me anymore, it is 30 years ago, 40 years ago, it is actually 40 years ago.”

Questioned if he understands the concerns, Phelan said: “I understand, yes of course. That’s natural and why wouldn’t they? Why wouldn’t they?

"And if the truth be known again, things would have been very different today with the law of 30 years ago.

“If I had been honest with myself, if I had been honest with the police, if they had asked me questions, if they had asked me direct questions…nobody ever asked me why I done it.

"And if things were different today, I would say yes. I would deny a lot of stuff that I did do, I went along with things I didn’t do, I thought it would just blow over and it didn’t.

"It is past tense now, it was 40 years ago.”