TWO knife-wielding moped muggers stabbed a charity worker to death during a 'four-hour orgy of violence' even though he'd handed over his belongings.

Nathan Gilmaney, 19, and Troy Thomas, 18, tried to rob as many people as possible, leaving a trail of destruction on October 16 last year.

They stabbed 28-year-old Abdul Samad after taking his iPhone in what a jury heard was a moment of "aggression and blood lust" as they swept across West London.

Mr Samad had already handed over valuables when confronted by the teens in St Mary's Terrace in Paddington.

But Gilmaney got off his moped and stabbed him in the chest anyway.

The victim staggered back to his home and collapsed on the doorstep in front of his horrified parents.

The court heard that the defendants were unmoved by the plight of their victim and his "traumatised" family, and prowled the streets for their next target minutes later.

The pair, from Maida Vale, west London, were convicted of murder following a trial at the Old Bailey.

During the trial, prosecutor Oliver Glasgow QC said they were "highwaymen of the 21st century who thought they had the right to threaten and rob whoever they found, who attacked their targets in a brazen and shocking manner and who stabbed their victims often for no reason other than simple aggression and blood lust".

He told jurors: "They hoped to steal wallets and valuables from their victims and, where possible, they intended to take their victims' mobile phones, which they knew they could quickly sell for cash.

"By the end of their four-hour spree of violence, they had committed nine knife-point robberies, they had gratuitously stabbed four of their defenceless victims and they had killed Abdul Samad, a 28-year-old man whose job as a charity youth worker had seen him devote his time to helping the very sort of young men who took his life."

As the number of casualties mounted, police scoured the area and arrested the culprits after a chase.

Their pockets were stuffed with stolen valuables and CCTV captured them in the act of riding around and attacking helpless strangers.

Mr Samad's mobile phone was among stolen items sold on the same night, but recovered during a police search of a flat off Harrow Road, the court heard.

Thomas admitted robbing the victims, but denied responsibility for the violence.

Gilmaney had pleaded guilty to the robberies and violence, but both defendants denied murder. He had admitted manslaughter, but claimed he did not intend really serious harm.

Judge Richard Marks QC remanded the teenagers in custody to be sentenced on June 15.

Mr Samad's mother, Layla Begum, said: "The death of my son has absolutely broken my husband, my eldest son, my entire family and me.

"I will never be able to get over losing a son. I feel like Abdul's death has caused a hole in my heart and a vital organ of my body is missing. I often feel like a dead woman walking around my home."

The victim's girlfriend, Sultana Ahmed, said: "I had known Abdul for 11 years and he had the most amazing personality. He was caring, kind, loving and everyone adored him.

"We had many plans for this year and the last thing Abdul said to me was 'Watch - this year will be our year and we will be a family'. Why would someone hurt him and snatch his life away?"