JUST two people have called for a “huge welcome” for Donald Trump ahead of any planned visit to these shores.

However the Department of Foreign Affairs received some two dozen letters opposing the US president touching down here.

Some of the messages of complaint referred to Trump as “a destroyer of humanity”, “a bully, “moronic” and a “foul-mouthed thug”.

On August 31 the White House announced that the US prez would visit Ireland in November as part of a scheduled trip to Paris, France, to attend the Armistice commemorations.

It was expected that he would land on Irish soil either before or after his engagements in the French capital. However, 12 days after the announcement the Irish Government confirmed Trump had postponed the visit for scheduling reasons.

Documents released by the Foreign Affairs department show that 24 complaints opposing Trump’s visit here were lodged in less than a fortnight, with just two in favour.

One complainant took “grave exception” to Tanaiste Simon Coveney stating that Trump is always welcome in Ireland.

He added that Coveney’s views might not reflect the views of the Irish people.

Another complaint read: “Dear Mr Coveney, not in my name will I allow Donald Trump to visit Ireland and at taxpayers’ expense be afforded an official welcome. Mr Trump is a bully, a destroyer of all humanity, colour, creed, faith and kindness on this Earth.”

An angry protester from Dublin Mid-West sent a letter into the department expressing their “horror” at the planned visit.

Another letter used much stronger language, saying: “Trump and his maligned, moronic and absurd policies are harmful to and dangerous for the entire world and he must not be given any platform here in Ireland to promote his bile and evil agenda.

“He is nothing more than an opportunistic rich foul mouthed New York thug and criminal, worse than any low life filth and should be treated as such. He is an insult to humanity.”

Another said: “I would like to voice my deepest and sincerest concern about welcoming a sexual predator, despot, demagogue, racist, homophobic dictator to our democracy as a guest.”

It was not all negative for Trump, as two letters were received in support of Trump coming here, while another requested a possible meet and greet.

The proposed visit by POTUS was compared to the recent visit of the Pontiff here, as one supportive email said: “The Pope got a lovely welcome to Ireland. I am confident President Trump will be given a huge welcome also.”

The cancelled November trip would have marked Trump’s first visit to Ireland since his inauguration in Jan 2017.