JULIE Bishop delivered a cutting response to Today host Karl Stefanovic’s question on the Liberal leadership in an interview today.

During an appearance on the morning show, Stefanovic asked the Foreign Minister how it felt “talking to a man on death row”, referring to speculation on Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s future.

Ms Bishop hit back with a stinging response: “Well, I am talking to you, Karl.”

It comes as Today suffered its worst ratings in four years after co-host Lisa Wilkinson left and Stefanovic went through a very public separation from his ex-wife Cassandra Thorburn.

Ms Bishop continues to back Mr Turnbull after a leadership challenge from Peter Dutton on Tuesday.

“A win of 13 votes in leadership contests is an endorsement. You know about sporting contests — if you win, you win,” she said.

“I was surprised there was anyone standing against Malcolm. I thought the interests of the party were to unite behind a set of policies that were to be delivered for the Australian people,” she said.

Ms Bishop told 7.30 she would not run for the top job, although some believe she may be a contender.

“That’s such a hypothetical. I mean, it’s got so many hypotheticals built into it,” said Ms Bishop, who was re-elected to her position as deputy.

“No. I’ve just been elected as deputy leader of the party. I don’t take that for granted, and I will do my very best to act out that role as deputy in support of the Coalition delivering good government for the Australian people.”

According to some polls, Ms Bishop would be the party’s only chance of improving their vote, 7.30 host Leigh Sales pointed out.

“Peter Dutton made it clear in April that he wanted to be prime minister,” Ms Bishop replied. “I think that was a signal to colleagues that he wants the job. I’ve got a job. I’m getting on with my job of delivering good government for the people of Australia and supporting the Turnbull Government in doing that.”

This morning she told ABC that she was not aware that Concetta Fierravanti-Wells wanted her to be replaced by Mr Dutton as deputy leader. Although the deputy position was declared vacant, Ms Bishop was re-elected unopposed.

She also denied reports that she had threatened to quit politics should Mr Dutton become the new leader of the Liberal party.

Meanwhile there’s speculation Mr Turnbull will face another leadership challenge this week.