CONVICTED predator John Phelan has denied one of his victim’s claim that he’s still “a danger” to kids.

We revealed yesterday how the 64-year-old will be living on the doorstep of a new school being built in Trumera, Co Laois.

Abuse survivor Peter Fitzpatrick, 41, who waived his right to anonymity so Phelan could be named publicly, pleaded for the plans to be shelved, saying: “In his head he is normal and kids are prey.”

But today paedo Phelan tells the Irish Sun he is no longer a threat, and complains that he is a victim himself.

Confronted about his record of molesting children, Phelan said: “Past tense, 1,000 per cent.”

“I would just say it is 40 years ago as far as I am concerned. Look at it, I have people that come in and out of here and no hassle.

“Nobody ever asked me why I done these things. To be honest with you, when I was seven, I was abused. That never came up in my conversation with anybody over the years, nobody never asked me why.

“I have no enemies against anybody . . . and they are both deceased now, the two men involved (in his alleged abuse) are deceased.

“And I know a lot of things about paedophiles. I don’t get involved with any of them, any more.

“I just live my own life, I have a few greyhound dogs, I’d be out going racing and do my own thing.”

Phelan previously served time for molesting and sexually assaulting two brothers as young as nine.

Asked if he had a message for his victims, he said: “I haven’t seen any of them for the last 40 years. So I think they are married or gone away from the area.”

When told one of the brothers later took his own life, the bespectacled sex beast changed his story — but still tried to wash his hands of any blame.

He said: “Yes I do know that. But that wasn’t because of me or anything. I did hear rumours, it wasn’t just me, he had other issues as well. So nothing to do with me.”

Last month Gaelscoil Trumera applied for permission to build a new school in the townland outside Mountrath.

Approached by our reporter at his gate, Phelan admitted parents would have “natural” concerns that he lives opposite the proposed site.

In an exclusive interview with the Irish Sun yesterday, Peter told how he was speaking out to warn against the development of the school on Phelan’s doorstep in Trumera.

When questioned by our reporter, Phelan admitted he understood the concerns and would “object” to the school’s proposed location.

Phelan also highlighted potential traffic problems with the site. He said: “It is going to cause a lot of hassle, friction. But for me it is traffic up and down roads, people coming and going.”

The two-acre greenfield site, which is beside the hurling club and community hall, was provided free of charge by the parish.

Local TD Charlie Flanagan recently heralded the news that the Department of Education had sanctioned funding for the school.

There is no suggestion that he, nor any officials of the school or at the Department of Education were aware of Phelan’s proximity to the new site.

But Peter, who was molested by Phelan, told the Irish Sun: “A school is to be built across from a convicted paedophile. I don’t think anyone in this country would want that.”