JEREMY Vine has revealed the death of his father Guy this week - as he gears up to take over as host of The Wright Stuff.

The BBC journalist, 53, took to Twitter to share the tragic news yesterday, and his celebrity friends soon rallied round in support.

In a heat-breaking post shared to his social media account on Thursday, the star revealed that his father had passed away on Wednesday.

Alongside a black and white snap of Guy, he wrote: "Thank-you for the kind messages about my father, who died yesterday. I can't begin to describe how much I loved him.

"He gave all his children the confidence to follow whatever path we wanted in life, and whatever we did, he was there applauding us.

"Above all he gave us his time."

The emotional message soon racked up 19k likes and a number of the broadcaster's celebrity friends shared sympathetic words with the star who will be presenting current affairs show The Wright Stuff from September.

Dawn French commented: "So much love to you. How lucky you were to have him, and how lucky he was to have you."

Gaby Roslin posted: "Sending you my deepest sympathies and so much love to you and your family."

Richard Bacon added: "I’m sorry to hear that Jermey. He sounds like a wonderful and decent man. All the best."

It comes after it was revealed by The Sun's Bizarre column in June that Jeremy would be taking over The Wright Stuff in September.

Former host Matthew Wright announced he was quitting the Channel 5 show in May.

Bosses have opted for Radio 2 host and Points of View host Jeremy, 53, to front a new look show in an announcement made today.

The show will be renamed for the first time in 18 years.

Jeremy said: “Matthew Wright has built a brilliant show that’s a big part of the British TV landscape. I’m delighted to be carrying on all the conversations he has started, with all the guests he’s made me feel I know over the years.

"Radio 2 has a beautiful editorial overlap with the serious but accessible agenda of this show. I am proud to be Channel 5’s choice to front it.”