A JEALOUS mum allegedly cut her three-week-old baby girl's throat as she thought her husband loved the child more than her.

The 21-year-old mum, who cannot be named for legal reasons, allegedly killed her child a few minutes after her husband, 26, left their apartment in Rivne, north-western Ukraine.

According to police reports he rushed into the baby's room after he returned to find her hands covered with blood.

And to his horror, he saw the baby lying motionless in a pool of blood, the report added.

The shocked father called emergency services, and paramedics are said to have told cops the woman questioned why her husband was crying.

His mum Maria Momot said: “He went out for a few minutes and she grabbed a kitchen knife and cut the child’s throat open.”

Mrs Momot claimed her daughter-in-law was jealous of the baby because she thought that her husband loved the child more.

She said: “My son and I loved the child very much. We gave her all our thoughts and care.

“She [her daughter-in-law] was jealous. She thought that her husband loved their child more than her.

“This morning I bathed my little granddaughter and now she is gone.

“I cannot believe that it all happened to our family.”

Officers found the murder weapon in the kitchen sink, still covered with the child’s blood.

Police spokesman Anton Kruk said: “The child died of the knife wound to its throat.

“The mother could not explain why she did it. She could not even remember what she was doing during the day.”

It is known that the suspect had suffered from meningoencephalitis in November last year.

Meningoencephalitis patients suffer from an infection or inflammation of the brain.

The disease caused some mental disorders to the mother and she underwent treatment in a mental facility.

The mum now faces a mental examination. If the examination shows she was responsible for her actions, she will be charged with premeditated murder of a minor.

The suspect faces up to 15 years in prison if found guilty.