SPEEDBOAT killer Jack Shepherd has finally apologised to the parents of victim Charlotte Brown — but still put the blame on her.

Shamless Shepherd refused to take full responsibility for killing Charlotte, 24, when his speedboat flipped on the Thames in 2015, saying: “Ultimately, it was her action to accelerate in the manner that she did.”

Speaking from his Georgia cell before being returned to the  UK,  he  said:  “Her actions led to the fatal accident.”

He added: “I agree with the assessment that I bear some of the moral responsibility for Charlotte’s death and I can understand why her family apportion the entire blame on me. But the reality is not quite so simple.”

Charlotte, 24, died on a first date with Shepherd during a late-night, drunken jaunt in December 2015 in the speedboat he bought to “pull women”.

The boat hit an object in the water and both were flipped into the icy River Thames.

Web developer Shepherd later fled the country after being charged with manslaughter but was jailed for six years in his absence.

He finally handed himself in to cops in Georgia in January after being cornered by an international manhunt, backed by a £10,000 reward put up by The Sun.

'I HOPE MY APPEAL WILL BE SUCCESSFUL'
At the time, he sparked outrage by refusing to apologise for Charlotte’s death and told reporters: “I hope my appeal will be successful and everyone can move on.”

He has spent ten weeks in Gladani Prison No 8 in Tbilisi.

Shepherd is due to return to Britain on Wednesday under police guard to start his jail sentence. But he spoke to us exclusively from his cell ahead of his extradition.

Asked if he would now apologise to Charlotte’s parents Graham Brown and Roz Wickens, of Clacton, Essex, he said: “Absolutely, unreservedly, I apologise for the role I played, and undeniably I did play a part.

“They have my sincere sympathies and condolences and I understand why they apportion the blame as they do.

“If I was in the same situation I would probably feel the same way.

“I am very sorry for what happened. It was a tragedy and if I could do anything to change what happened, I really would.”

But shifting the blame from himself, Shepherd added: “There were a number of factors that led to the accident — some were my decisions, some were Charlotte’s.

“It was a joint decision to go out on the boat that night, her desire to drive the boat, but it was my decision to permit her to drive. Perhaps I ought to have instructed her further — more so than I did.

“But it was ultimately Charlotte’s action to accelerate in the manner that she did, even though I failed to prevent her. You see, it’s shared [responsibility]. And there are matters of luck or fate — an unseen log in the path of the boat.

“In the end I survived while Charlotte lost her life. These things could have been very different.”

SHEPHERD MARRIED HIS FIANCE WEEKS LATER
Two months after the tragedy, Shepherd married his fiance, who was unaware he had been seeing other women and was involved in Charlotte’s death.

The couple, who lived in North London before moving to Wales, also had a child together. It was two years after the crash that Shepherd was charged and another six months before his trial — by which time he had gone on the run.

As well as his manslaughter conviction, Shepherd is also wanted for GBH after allegedly knocking a barman unconscious with a vodka bottle in a Dartmoor pub while “blind drunk”.

Asked if he regrets turning fugitive, he said: “Primarily yes. The consequences for me and others, the way I’m perceived, it’s upset a lot of people and it was against my own interests also. I truly believe if I’d been there in court to explain myself the jury would have come to a different conclusion.

“That is notwithstanding the additional sentence I faced.

“But also, the choice I felt I faced at the time was between running and suicide, so in a way I’m not entirely regretful because at least I didn’t choose the other option.”

SNUBBED BY PARENTS
THE parents of Charlotte Brown have dismissed Jack Shepherd’s apology attempt.Dad Graham said he had “no comment to make” having previously said Shepherd must “atone for his crass and reckless actions”.Mum Roz Wickens said: “I don’t want to sound disrespectful, but nothing he says will bring my daughter back.”

Shepherd was supported during his court appearances in Georgia by ex-TV journalist Maiko Tchanturidze, 24.

He says he will not go back to the wife he abandoned but will fight to see his son, which may mean he stays in the country after prison.

He added: “My son is in Britain and I’ve always worked there. But it may be difficult for me to find work given the negative media coverage I’ve experienced.

“I do have obligations, debts, I want to provide for my son, so I’m going to have to find decent work somewhere, be that in the UK or another European country.

“I would like to spend a good amount of the year with my son. That may mean him spending some of the year with me, or me spending some time in the UK.”

He is also considering a change in career, saying: “It’s tempting. If some opportunity arises in prison to try my hand at something else like carpentry I’d give that a go.

“But because I want to pay my debts and look after my family, I’m best off sticking to the trade I know really.”