IWAN Thomas' newborn son has been rushed to intensive care struggling to breathe just hours after being born.

The Olympic athlete, 44, shared the devastating news in an Instagram post that also announced the birth of tiny Teddy Lewis Thomas .

Alongside adorable photos of the new addition to his family, Iwan revealed he had "some great and also horrendous news."

He explained that his son had been rushed to Princess Anne Hospital in Southampton after having trouble breathing.

He wrote: "My baby boy came into the World on Sat he’s so gorgeous I went home the happiest man alive that night only to be phoned to say he’s been taken to intensive care with trouble breathing.

"Yesterday was the worst day of my life looking at my everything with tubes everywhere in an incubator.

"He is now beginning to breathe better for himself without full aid of machines, I now know what true unconditional love is."

The 400m British record holder then paid tribute to the staff at the hospital, before warning that his baby boy is "not out of the woods yet".