DONALD Trump has responded to his daughter Ivanka Trump‘s criticism of one of his key policies and her defence of the media against his constant attacks.

Ms Trump told Axios she does not agree with her father when he says the news media are “the enemy of the people”.

She said she has been the subject of reporting that she knows “not to be fully accurate” but said: “no, I do not feel that the media is the enemy of the people.”

That prompted the president to take to Twitter to respond to his daughter.

He agreed with her comments - sort of.

Ms Trump also broke ranks with her father’s administration over its handling of immigrant families coming into the US.

The US has been separating children from their parents since April because children cannot be kept in adult prisons.

Ms Trump, who is a senior adviser of her father Donald Trump, told Axios that seeing desperate mothers and their children separated was “a low point for me”, especially as the daughter of an immigrant.

“I feel very strongly about that, and I am very vehemently against family separation and the separation of parents and children,” she said in an event at the Newseum in Washington.

“Illegal immigration is incredibly complicated. I am a daughter of an immigrant. My mother grew up in Communist Czech Republic. But we are a country of laws. So you know, she came to this country legally,” she said.

Ms Trump said the US however had to find a way to discourage people coming across the Mexico border.

“We have to be very careful about incentivising behaviour that puts children at risk of being trafficked, at risk of entering this country with coyotes or making an incredibly dangerous journey alone,” she said.

“These are not easy issues. These are incredibly difficult issues, and like the rest of the country I experience them in a very emotional way.”