Ivanka Trump is defending her use of a private email account as she was moving into an adviser’s position in her father’s administration.

The elder daughter of US President Donald Trump told ABC News in the US that using the private email account when she was transitioning into an administration job cannot be compared to the flap over former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s private email server.

Ms Trump says her private account emails were archived and contained no classified information.

“All of my emails are stored and preserved. There were no deletions. There is no attempt to hide,” she said, adding, “There’s no equivalency to what my father’s spoken about.”

“There is no restriction of using personal email,” she said. “In fact, we’re instructed that if we receive an email to our personal account that could relate to government work, you simply just forward it to your government account so it can be archived.”

The Washington Post reported this month that she used the personal email account to conduct official government business.

Republicans and Democrats in Congress say they’re reviewing the situation to make sure she complied with federal records law.

Mrs Clinton says she never knowingly emailed classified information.

Ms Trump said while images of Central American migrants desperately trying to cross the US-Mexico border while being fire at with tear gas were “heartbreaking”, she stands by her father’s policy.

“I think, like any other person with a heart, it’s devastating to see the images and seeing children put at risk. Running towards the border is heartbreaking,” she said.

“But there are people in the caravan who are not so innocent ... [the president] has to protect our country’s security.”