THE brutal death of a British mum found with ten knife wounds in her neck near her home in Italy will be reexamined.

Claire Martin died six years ago at the age of 30 and Italian authorities concluded that she killed herself after suffering from postnatal depression.

Her parents Pat and Ray Martin have always believed she was murdered.

The case has now been reopened because of new evidence of hair fibre and skin found under Claire’s nails, according to her parents.

Claire lived with her 14-month-old son Alex and her in-laws in the Campania region near Naples while her partner Diego Mascolo worked in Germany.

In March 2012 she bled to death after suffering multiple stab wounds to her neck after she left her house to go to a local restaurant where she was a waitress.

In the final moments before she died, Claire reportedly told her mother-in-law Maria Mascolo “it was a man” as she pointed to the land behind the house.

Claire died in Maria’s arms, according to Italian media.

Italian authorities found a bloodied eight-inch knife near where Claire died.

Her death was originally investigated as a murder but after 15 months Italian police said the evidence pointed to a suicide.

At the time of Claire's death Mr Martin branded the investigation a “farce”.

He told the Daily Mail: “I don’t know who killed Claire, but I know 100 per cent that she did not commit suicide.

“The whole investigation has been a farce from the beginning.”

Home Office pathologist Dr Stuart Hamilton and retired detective Tony Blockley have since rejected this theory.

During a BBC Inside Out investigation Dr Hamilton said: “If I was briefing a senior investigating officer at this autopsy, I would be suggesting that you need to go and find the murderer.”

Claire’s parents, of Sutton-in-Ashfield met with a public prosecutor in Italy after the programme came out.

They later received a letter from the solicitor in Italy with the good news saying new evidence was found.

Mr Martin told the BBC: “Apparently it's hair fibre and skin that were found under my daughter's nails has now been tested to see if they can glean any DNA off it.

"I honestly believe there's a 50% chance they may get a match but let's wait and see."