A BOY was left vomiting every day for a year due to the stress caused by online tormentors who told him to drink bleach and to slit his wrists — and showed him how to make a noose.

Mum Sarah Mannion Butler is backing Dublin mum Jackie Fox’s call for new laws to punish those who hurl social media abuse.

Speaking at a press conference yesterday, she said: “How many more lives need to be lost due to the lack of rules or legislation on cyberspace?

“I am a here today, with the permission of my own son, whose life reached an extremely low point at the tender age of 13 due to the effects of bullying . . .

“In our own case, the culprit set up a false account on social network sites and invited large groups into a chat aimed at my son.

“Some of the words used were, ‘I have set this group up for a depressed loner. Who would like to be this loner’s friend?’

“And then came the litany of abuse.

“‘Faggot. Gay. Freak. Weirdo. Autistic faggot. Go drink bleach. Slit your wrists.’

“Then photos were sent to him showing how to make a noose so he could hang himself.”

The lad ended up at Pieta House where Sarah was told he was a “medium” suicide risk, while learning he’d also “planned to hang himself in our attic”.

She added: “Then followed over a year of vomiting . . .

“We attended cardiologists who sent him for MRIs of his heart because he had constant palpitations.”

After months of tests, reports from a number of consultants stated “that my son’s health was mainly due to the stress caused by persistently being slandered. They literally broke my boy’s spirit.”