AN Iranian couple accused of making their daughter take a virginity test after they found out she had a boyfriend have been cleared of all charges.

Mitra Eidiani, 42, wept as she and Ali Safaraei, 56, were found not guilty, after a court heard they told the teen she would be sent "back to Iran to marry a cousin".

The pair were cleared of two counts of controlling or coercive behaviour in an intimate or family relationship, and one count of making a threat to kill.

Eidiani was also cleared of one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm over allegations she bit her daughter when the relationship was found out.

The jury of four men and eight women took just one hour to deliver the verdicts - following an emotional trial.

They were told the pair's daughter, Sophia Safaraei, was taken to a GP for a virginity test because it was "important" to her parents as Muslims.

They were accused of taking her to the GP but when Sophia said she didn't want the check, the doctor refused to perform it - the pair have now been cleared.

It was also claimed the couple took possessions including her mobile phone, passport and bank card when the affair was found out.

Kingston Crown Court previously heard the parents had found out about Sophia's boyfriend, workmate Bailey Marshall-Telfer, 18, when they got home early.

The young woman told the jury: "We panicked because we didn't expect it to happen so I had no choice but to tell him to go on the roof.

"We were both scared, we didn't know what to expect and obviously it would be a shock for my mum."

made her ill
They were also alleged to have threatened to kill Mr Marshall-Telfer during a confrontation at his workplace.

Eidiani wept with relief and shouted "Oh my God" as the verdicts were delivered.

The mum, who smashed Mr Marshall-Telfer's headphones when she found him at the family's flat in Clapham, South West London, pleaded guilty to criminal damage at an earlier hearing.

She was handed a six-month conditional discharge and told to pay £20 compensation for that offence.